Benidorm achieves 2.4 million of the program for its 'Smart and Sustainable Tourism Destination' project

The project, valued at 4 million euros, will be developed in two years and will allow progress in the digital transformation of the city
Benidorm achieves 2.4 million of the program for its 'Smart and Sustainable Tourism Destination' project.
Benidorm achieves 2.4 million of the program for its 'Smart and Sustainable Tourism Destination' project.

The project 'Benidorm, Smart and Sustainable Tourist Destination' presented by the City Council at the call of the entity, launched by the Government of Spain and financed with European funds, has achieved a grant of 2,413,835.24 euros. This has been moved by the mayor, Toni Pérez, after receiving the final resolution of the call made public today.

The mayor recalled that the project is valued at 4,023,058.74 million euros and will allow "progress in the digital transformation in which Benidorm is immersed" with the aim of "becoming the first Smart Tourist Destination certified in the world " The granting of this subsidy, therefore, is "important and very positive news for the city and for the interest of all, of residents and of those who visit us".

Pérez explained that the project has a biannual character, that the grant reached covers 60% of the investment for the implementation and development, and that the City Hall will provide in two years the remaining 40% -1.609.223,50 euros. In fact, the municipal budget of 2018 collects half of that investment -804,611.75 euros, while the other half will be contributed in the 2019 accounts.

The mayor said that in the digital transformation in which this project affects "the City Council works hand in hand with companies that lend us their pilots or services -as is the case of Smart Tourist-, with the maximum involvement of Visit Benidorm and the municipal technicians, and together with the Ente Gestor del DTI ".

On the other hand, it has meant that in the last year Benidorm has achieved subsidies of European funds for amounts exceeding 16 million euros. Thus, in addition to the resources of the program, 10 million euros have been obtained to implement the Strategy for Sustainable Urban Development and Integration (EDUSI); about 2 million for the EMCUJU and EMPUJU employment plans, which have led to the hiring of more than a hundred young people under 30 years of age; and about 2.1 million for the creation of the Levante cycling ring and the consolidation and enhancement of El Castell and El Tossal de la Cala.

In this regard, he pointed out that obtaining all these funds is the result of the line taken in 2015 and that is based on "work to present solid projects" with which to apply for calls for grant issued by different administrations ; a task in which "previously Benidorm was in the caboose".

The project 'Benidorm, Smart and Sustainable Tourist Destination' has achieved a score of 7.72 points, being the fifth best assessment of the 24 beneficiary administrations of this call

Details of the project

The 'Benidorm, Intelligent and Sustainable Tourism Destination' project is based on four axes: Intelligent Management, Smart Beaches, Sustainability and Energy Efficiency, and Tourist and Citizen Satisfaction. The investment planned for the Smart Management axis amounts to 1,538,844.61 euros; while the Smart Beaches reserve 984,584.60 euros. The actions of Sustainability and energy efficiency have a budget of 938,555.21 euros, and 333,354.01 euros are foreseen for tourist and citizen satisfaction. Finally, there is a provision of 227,720.31 euros for audit, monitoring, communication and evaluation expenses, required by the call.

The implementation of the project will allow obtaining specific results at a tourist level such as: greater competitiveness and improvement of tourism positioning; improvement of the tourist experience before, during and after the trip; increase in the quality of life of tourists and also of residents; improvement of universal accessibility; and improvement of connectivity among tourists, residents, businesses and services. But in addition, in the environmental field, it is possible to manage the water quality of beaches with a lower environmental impact, benefits in mobility and safety, and prevention through alerts; while at the economic and cultural level new employment niches are generated, the creation of new business models is encouraged, and trade, local industry and cultural and architectural heritage are given value for their preservation.